I took some time to re-assess my writing goals, and these are my priorities:
(1) Malice, the fanfic novel I’m working on. It’s getting great feedback, and I’m having a lot of fun.
(2) Original short horror fiction, which I also love writing. Let’s get these stories out into the world!
(3) Teaching my actual classes for actual money. This is all “writing” now, if you’re wondering.
(4) Supporting my friends and communicating with artists I’ve commissioned.
(5) Taking long walks. I’ve started listening to The Magnus Archives podcast, and it’s fantastic.
(6) Animal Crossing. I know you’re playing it too, so don’t judge me.
(7) Academic publications. If I feel like it, which I don’t.
So, with all of that in mind, this is what I did this week:
– I posted Chapter 31 of Malice on AO3. This was going to be a longer chapter, but I’ve found that my attention span has been extremely limited these days. I could have spent a few extra days putting this chapter through another round of editing, but fuck it.
– I edited Chapter 30 (quite substantially, actually) and posted it on FFN.
– I finished all of the page layouts for It Never Happened. I have a list of a few other small things I need to take care of before I send the file to the printer, but this project should be finished by the end of the week. If it isn’t, I’m going to send it anyway. I want to go ahead and get started on the next set of stories.
– I’ve spent the past week writing (and grading) online quizzes, and I’ve really been enjoying myself. I may write an actual post about this later, but I’m starting to seriously think about “the online quiz” as a legitimate narrative form.
– I commissioned Meiaushzz to create a digital painting of Ganondorf from Malice, and WOW. (The rough draft, in which Ganondorf is older and bearded, is also VERY NICE.) The idea is that, as in Breath of the Wild, Ganondorf is able to use magic to manipulate technology, and he does it for all the worst reasons.
– I commissioned Yufei to draw Balthazar and Ceres from The Demon King, and they are both gorgeous. This artist regularly takes OC illustration commissions, and every piece they post on social media is incredible. I’ve been wanting to commission them for a while, and I figured that this week was as good of a time as any. This was also a good opportunity to write very short “elevator pitches” for these two characters that clearly express their personalities and narrative roles without getting too deep into the complications of the larger story.
– That sure is a lot of stupid fandom bullshit, you might be thinking. Why doesn’t this person grow up and go do their taxes or something. Well, friend, let me tell you – I filed my taxes this week. I also filled out my census form and my form for jury duty (which isn’t going to happen, but still). As much as I bitch and complain about my university, they’re still sending me paychecks, so I’ve been trying to donate to various food banks and relief organizations as well.
What with everything going on in the world, it’s been difficult to concentrate, but I’m doing my best. I hope everyone reading this is safe and healthy and doing okay!