– I edited the first half of Chapter 2 of my book manuscript! I realized that the only way to get this done is to say “no” to literally every other professional obligation, so that’s what I’m doing.
– I’m writing a review of Haruki Murakami’s newest novel in translation, Killing Commendatore, for my book review blog. This novel didn’t make a strong impression on me when I read it in Japanese, and a second reading in English hasn’t changed my mind, so I don’t actually have much to say. Still, I’ve now read a good dozen reviews of the novel that get the plot and the characters mixed up, and there isn’t currently anything on the novel’s English-language Wikipedia page, so at the very least I can write an accurate plot summary that correctly identifies the characters and the themes of the story.
– I’m slowly editing the thirteen (very) short stories that I’m going to include in a chapbook called Ghost Stories, which I hope to send off to the printer by the end of the month. I’ve already posted the first story in the collection, Aunt Bernice, on this blog.
– I’m working on a short Breath of the Wild postgame fic about Zelda and Riju, who I think would get along really well together. I told myself I would stop writing fanfic once the fall semester began, but I was wrong. If it doesn’t get in the way of my professional writing and makes me happy, what’s the harm?
– I found not one but two artists who would be willing to create a character illustration of Balthazar from The Demon King! I was 95% certain that one of them would turn me down, but both ended up taking my commission. I’m very excited about this! Unlike Ceres and Hero, I only have the sketchiest idea of what Balthazar is supposed to look like, so it will be good to get two different interpretations from two different artists. Both artists have already sent sketches, and they’re beyond fantastic. Once I have professional illustrations of the character, hopefully I’ll be able to start drawing him myself.